Thursday, July 10, 2008

My 3 heroes have always been...

Dear Friends and Members,

I've had 3 heroes in my life: my father, Walter Kilzer (my high school football coach), and Vince Lombardi, the legendary coach of the Green Bay Packers.

What was it about Vince Lombardi that made him a hero to me and so many others? I think more than anything, people were drawn to Lombardi because of his passion and his total commitment to be the best.

This quote reflects his philosophy of football and life:

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their field of endeavor."

When I started Successories in 1988, this Lombardi quote, along with his photo, was the very first product that we sold. Our second product was an excerpt from his famous speech, What It Takes To Be Number One. It was a best seller then, and 20 years later, it's still a best seller in the Successories catalog.

The Simple Truths' gift book, What It Takes To Be Number One, holds a very special place in my heart. It was an honor to work with Lombardi's son, Vince Lombardi, Jr., to capture the essence of his father's success. But you can't imagine how I felt when Vince Jr. Called me to say that he had found an audio recording of his father giving his famous speech. He said, "It's never before been released, so we could include it on a CD in the back of our book." I had goose bumps when he told me! He also said he would arrange for Vern Beavor, the Green Bay Packer photographer for over 50 years, to send me hundreds of vintage photos from his dad's era that we could include in our book.

I have to tell you...I felt like the kid in the candy store! I was going to get to publish a book about one of my heroes, which was going to include an audio of his most famous speech and vintage photos, many of which had never before been published.

It was a dream come true!

Today in this inspirational 3 minute movie, you'll get to hear excerpts from Lombardi's speech, you'll see some of the photos and some of my favorite Lombardi quotes. So just relax, turn up your speakers and enjoy...What It Takes To Be Number One. To watch, simply click here, then click "Watch This Movie".

Live with Passion,
Mac Anderson
Mac Anderson
Founder, Simple Truths

Contributed by:

Aseem Kaistha
It's your attitude and not your aptitude that determines your altitude.

No comments: